Are you a student looking for an opportunity to gain experience in paleontology and earn credit? Or are you just trying to decide if paleontology is the best fit for your interests and career goals? Either way, our Field Paleontology course is exactly what you're looking for.
GEO 380 - Field Paleontology
2 SESSIONS AVAILABLE
July 1 - 14, 2018* July 15 - 28, 2018*
REGISTRATION: March 19 through June 7, 2018
Credits are transferable to most U.S. colleges/universities and academic programs. Be sure to check with your adviser.
*Note: Dates are flexible - please inquire for details.
About the Course
The BBPI has partnered with Rocky Mountain College to create GEO380 - Field Paleontology. This course is designed to provide extensive field-based opportunities for students to interpret the paleoecological conditions present in the Bighorn Basin region during the Mesozoic and early Cenozoic eras of geologic time. Students will spend a great deal of time searching for, excavating, and analyzing fossils and geologic specimens found in the region. Most field collecting and instruction will focus on the Jurassic Morrison Formation and latest Cretaceous Lance Formation. Students also will learn about the regional geology, stratigraphy, and paleogeography.
Throughout the course, you will work alongside paleontologists and graduate students with various backgrounds and fields of expertise.
- Students will spend their days searching for, collecting, excavating, and documenting fossils, fossil localities, and geological evidence for the paleoenvironmental conditions that existed in this region many millions of years ago.
Informal evening classroom sessions will provide interactive instruction and hands-on activities.
- Students are required to attend for 2 weeks.
- For more information on travel, lodging, and much more, please see our Public Expeditions and FAQs pages.
- $375/credit x 3 credits = $1,125
- $1,435/week Course Fee = $2,870
- The Course Fee includes all meals, room & board, tools, supplies, equipment, instruction, and transportation to/from Billings, MT).
- Total: $3,995
Step 1: Register as a Student Crew Member through the BBPI.
- You will also need to submit your deposit to hold your spot.
Step 2: Register with Rocky Mountain College as a Non-Degree Seeking Student. Registration for Summer 2 Semester is from March 19 through June 7, 2018.
- The transcript requirement is waived, but you WILL need your immunization records.
- Register directly with the Registrar's Office: Jen Bratz (jen.bratz(at)rocky.edu; 406.657.1114) or Kyle Pratt (406.657.1029)